John Evans’ Sons offers open and enclosed spring reels. In addition to our standard line of reels, we can custom manufacture within standard sizes. If volume or application justify, we will manufacture a totally customized reel. Various load and deflection choices are available.
Open Reels - Plastic or MetalJohn Evans’ manufactures “open style” construction spring reels, also known as arbor reels. In an open reel, the cable is exposed, wrapped around the exterior circumference of the reel, and contained between two flanges & under load generated by the internal spring. Spring reels provide lift assistance to any assembly that must be raised, reducing the “felt” weight and having the ability to make adjustments to pre-load and maximum travel. They can precisely counterbalance loads from less than one pound to over 50 pounds. Examples of applications include:
- Counterbalancing of an elevator door, reducing the force required to close and maintain the closed condition of doors on each floor.
- Reducing the energy required to lift a roll-up door on delivery trucks, or to lessen the effort to open and close the door/stairs on executive jets and other aerospace applications.
- Enabling adjustments to height, pre-load and maximum travel for various tools and fixtures in ergonomically designed workstations.
- Medical equipment designers can utilize spring reels to counterbalance a movable mechanism or monitor stand in the operating theater as well as hose, cable, tubing management around or within medical electronics cabinets.
- Diameters range from 1.64” to 6.0”
- Widths vary from 0.49” to 1.63”
- From 1.64" through 5.09" dia. available with plastic cases
- From 3.38" through 6.00" dia. available with metal cases