Arbor Reels / Spring Reels (Open) – Metal & Plastic Construction
We offer two types of reels:
- Plastic Arbor Open Reels
- Metal Arbor Open Reels
- Counterbalancing of an elevator door, reducing the force required to close and maintain the closed condition of doors on each floor. This type of spring powered cable retracting device is what is known in the elevator industry as the “Door Closer” reel or Spirator.
- A spring powered reel can be used to reduce the energy required to lift a roll-up door on delivery trucks, or to lessen the effort to open and close the door/stairs on executive jets and other aerospace applications. More information is available here for our aerospace applications spring reel sales sheet). Tool balancers or holders in ergonomically designed workstations are excellent opportunities for counterbalancing reels offering the ability to make adjustments to height, pre-load and maximum travel for various tools and fixtures. Medical equipment designers can utilize spring reels to counterbalance a movable mechanism or monitor stand in the operating theater as well as hose, cable, tubing management around or within medical electronics cabinets (click here for medical applications spring reel sales sheet).
- Diameters range from 1.64” to 6.0”
- Widths vary from 0.49” to 1.63”
- From 1.64" dia. thru 5.09" dia. available with plastic cases, and from 3.38" dia. thru 6.00" dia. available with metal cases.
Open Spring Reel NotesThe Open Spring Reels Specifications Table (below) describes our standard reels. Use the notes shown here in conjunction with the table. We can customize reels upon request. Reel cases are made of either Plastic (PR) or Metal (MR). The load and deflection (travel) are determined by size and spring thickness. The nominal load is measured at 80% of the total available deflection.
- PR1 & PR2 Series – Case is glass filled nylon. (other plastic reel sizes are ABS plastic)
- Cable Descriptions: (cables are of stranded construction) Terminal hole dia: .17” (accommodates #8 screw)
CA-‐1 .018” dia. stainless steel, nylon coated to .024” dia.Terminal hole dia: .26” (accommodates 1/4”screw)
CA-‐3 3/64” dia. galvanized steel, nylon coated to 1/16” dia.
CA-‐4 1/16” dia. galvanized steel, nylon coated to 3/32” dia.
- Arbor Descriptions:
AR-‐1 10-‐32 UNF threaded stud x 3/16” long.
AR-‐2 Delrin arbor with .320” square thru hole.
AR-‐3 1/2-‐13 UNC threaded stud x 11/16” long.