Shock & Vibration Isolators
John Evans’ helical (spring) vibration isolators provide the ultimate in shock and vibration protection.
Why is shock and vibration protection so important?
Shock and vibration influence the performance and life expectancy of nearly every kind of mechanical and electrical device, large or small.
What added benefits do isolators provide?
Typically, protection from shock and absorption of vibration is accomplished through the combination of a resilient element (metal mesh, an elastomer, a steel spring, etc.) and a metallic supporting frame. However, the helical isolator, also known as a helical mount or a cable mount, provides a higher level of isolation from shock and vibration than any other type of isolation device.
What makes John Evans’ isolators so effective?
- Our helical vibration isolators (also referred to as spring vibration isolators) are made of aircraft quality stainless steel cable, wound into metal retaining bars prepared for surface mounting.
- The wire rope (ranging in diameter from 1/16” to 1”+) and its helix configuration provide the specific resilience required to cushion fragile loads as small as a few pounds or substantial loads of many thousands of pounds, and absorb vibration through a wide frequency spectrum.
- The isolator operates well in any position: in compression, extension, shear, and roll.
- Our isolators provide protection in all axes simultaneously.
- All-metal construction makes our isolators virtually impervious to severe environments, and maintenance free.
Helical isolators protect a broad range of loads:
- Very fragile (electronic equipment, computer hardware, optical devices).
- Highly substantial (heavy engines, machinery––during transit or while in operation, even in a moving vehicle).
See table below for more details.
|Electronics, Computers, Machinery||Explosive blast, Inherent vibration, Storms||Long life, Maintenance free, Temperature extremes, Corrosion resistance, All axes protection|
Rough Terrain Vehicles
|Instrumentation, Generators, Electronics||Rough terrain, Poor road conditions, Collision||Long life, Maintenance free, Temperature extremes, Ozone, Radioactivity, UV Radiation|
|Electronics, Computers||High-G maneuvering, Hard landings, Turbulent air||Temperature and altitude extremes, Lightweight|
|Optics, Instruments, Missiles, Electronics||Transit, Handling drop, Loading/Unloading||Long life, Maintenance free, Exposure to moisture, Repeated use|
|Centrifuge, Dryers, Pumps||Unbalanced dynamic loads, Fluid hammer, Inherent vibration, Foundation weakness||Long life, Maintenance free, Corrosive environments|
|Missile launcher, Tank artillery, Computer controls, Electronics||Rough terrain, Railroad humping, Transit||Maintenance free, Temperature extremes, Nearby blast|
|Mechanical equipment necessary for patient care||Vibration from moving parts, Mobile carts-Transport shock||Maintenance free, No outgassing, Can be sterilized|
|Chimneys, Scrubbers, Measuring devices||Wind causing resonant frequencies, Stack gas causing turbulence near scrubber, etc.||Maintenance free, Temperature extremes, Corrosive environments|
- Iridited aluminum bars are standard; however, other materials and finishes can be used.
- Variations in cable configuration are available if the standard is not suitable.
From basic transportation to aerospace, there is an application for Helical Isolators from America’s Oldest Springmaker.
Data Sheets by size (PDF) Click a series to view and/or download.
Isolator Intro. & Applications
HM10062 series.062" dia. cable
HM10093 series.093" dia. cable
HM10187 1 thru 6 series.187" dia. cable
HM10187 7 thru 12 series.187" dia. cable
HM10125 series.125" dia. cable
HM10156 series.156" dia. cable
HM08250 series.250" dia. cable
HM06375 series.375" dia. cable
HM08375 series.375" dia. cable
HM06500 series.500" dia. cable
HM08500 series.500" dia. cable
Got A Question? Consult our Experts.
Our experts offer a depth of expertise to assist you with all parts of the process. We are ready to answer your questions in a timely manner and will help you define what you need. We produce custom springs for all purposes, and we are here to work with you on any of your customization needs.